Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Freewrite

I am doing anther one of these freewrites today. I feel like I repeat myself in these sometimes, but I am supposed to write down whatever's on my mind, right? I am trying to "gain fluency" by doing these. I think they might be starting to help. I hope so anyway. I used to be obsessed with "The Hunger Games" when I was in seventh and part of eighth grade. I just loved the books and I thought they were really cool. I played basketball in junior high. I still do, but junior high basketball was super fun. It's still fun now, but we have a lot more games in high school and it can get very tiresome toward the end of the season. Anyway, I remember one day in seventh grade I was sitting in Language Arts class talking to one of my friends. He asked how our basketball game the night before had gone. I made up this story that I guess I thought was funny just to see if he would believe it. I told him that at the game there was a huge girl on the other team that picked me up and threw me at the wall and I hit my head and was knocked out. I tried as hard as I could to tell it with a straight face. I think he believed me. I don't really remember if he did or not. Probably not, because I doubt I was able to say it without laughing and giving it away. Another made up story I told that people actually believed was during eighth grade basketball. My team and I were waiting for the bus to come pick us up for our game. We were hanging out in the commons area of the school. My given name is Rachel Ellen, but I have always gone by Ellie Mae. In the school computer system I am Rachel because that's what is on my birth certificate. The seventh grade girls wanted to know why the school called me Rachel when my name was Ellie. I told them the reason I was Rachel in the computers was because  I had a twin sister named Rachel that went to another school, and when our parents had registered us for our respective schools, they had confused our birth certificates and accidentally registered me as Rachel and Rachel as me. To prove it to them, I went to the bathroom and changed one my eighth grade friends' contact names in my phone to Rachel and had her go to the locker room by herself and call me. I answered it, put the phone on speaker, showed the seventh graders the name, and let them talk to "Rachel." My deception was successful this time. Apparently it was more successful than I thought, however, because last year, my sophomore year of high school, I mentioned this incident to theses girls, who were now freshmen, and they were completely shocked to hear that I had been kidding. I said something along the lines of "Hey remember that time I tricked you guys into thinking I had a twin sister named Rachel?"  and received several confused expressions in response. 
 "Wait, that wasn't true?" they asked. I had never told them it was a joke, and they had believed the story for two years. I thought it was hilarious.
 Well that's enough for today I suppose. 

-Ellie Lane

No comments:

Post a Comment