Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Reading Response to "Be Cool to the Pizza Delivery Dude"

  I recently read the 'I Believe' essay "Be Cool to the Pizza Delivery Dude" by Sarah Adams. I enjoyed reading this essay because it put a unique spin on some things that I believe myself. The beliefs Adams writes about in this essay are not new to me, and they are things that are important in my life, but in this essay she creatively links them to pizza deliverers, which clarifies these principles and helps pin them down and make them more personal and applicable.
  The way Adams broke her beliefs into four basic principles was helpful and simplified her philosophy. The plain way the author stated her beliefs left enough room for the essay to be interpreted individually by the reader while also making clear the idea of the principle as well as the basis for it.
  I enjoyed how Adams explained the respect she has for the honesty of the occupation of a pizza deliveryman. She writes "They never took over a company and, as CEO, artificially inflated the value of the stock and cashed out their own shares, bringing the company to the brink of bankruptcy, resulting in 20,000 people losing their jobs while the CEO builds a home the size of a luxury hotel. Rather, the dudes sleep the sleep of the just." This passage of the text makes it clear that the author values honesty and hard work.
  Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this essay. I thought it was creative and interesting and put a unique spin on some common beliefs. I think Adams did a good job of organizing this essay and presenting a unique worldview.

-Ellie Lane

No comments:

Post a Comment